Career Level Apprentice
Experience Previous Experience
Posting ID 4086
No. of Openings 1
Union/Non Non-Union Position
Victoria Shipyards is recruiting for Welding Apprentices.
A qualified welder operates welding equipment to weld ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Welders are required to specialize in certain types of welding such as custom fabrication, shipbuilding and repair, pressure vessel welding, pipeline construction welding, structural construction welding, or machinery and equipment repair welding.
As a Welding Apprentice, you will be expected to practice and build on your knowledge of basic welding principles while ensuring that you are compliant with the Seaspan’s health, safety, and environmental standards. Support and direction will be provided by Supervisors, Chargehands, Journeypersons, and Mentors. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the trade which will allow you to succeed in your education and progress throughout the Welding Apprenticeship and achieve Red Seal Certification. Welding Apprentices who uphold Seaspan’s Core Values and demonstrate initiative, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn will be successful in this role.
- Read and interpret blueprints and relevant welding procedure specifications in a proficient manner. Complete & pass required practical and written examinations as per the ITA.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment using processes such as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), flux-cored arc welding (FCAW), plasma arc cutting, shielding metal arc welding (SMAW) and submerged arc welding (SAW).
- Operate manual or semi-automatic flame-cutting & plasma cutting equipment, including hand tools (i.e. grinder/chipping gun).
- Meet all requirements of Seaspan’s core values of Safety/Efficiency/Care/Accountability.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum Grade 12 Education
- Successfully passed Welder Foundation (Level 1 & 2) Program in BC
- Successfully passed Welder Level B (Level 3)
- CWB certification SMAW & FCAW all positions considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies:
- Comprehend and follow written and spoken directions and work in a safe & efficient manner
- Good communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Ability to work in enclosed/confined spaces in awkward positions and at high elevations
- Good judgment and reasoning skills
- Perseverance and ambition
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity
- Ability to work in a team environment or individually with a positive attitude.
Please note, NO follow up CALLS PERMITTED. Due to the high volume of applications received, we will not be responding to direct enquiries regarding apprentice positions. We ask for your patience during the recruitment process. You will be contacted by Seaspan directly if you are successfully shortlisted for a position.
If you are experiencing IT issues, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your resume.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.