Career Level Red Seal
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID 3568
No. of Openings Multiple
Union/Non Union Position
Seaspan Shipyards is proud to be Canada’s long-term, strategic shipbuilding partner for the Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Navy. As a direct result of this work, while creating jobs and rebuilding our domestic shipbuilding industry, Seaspan Shipyards is delivering on the promise of ships built in Canada, by Canadians.
Vancouver Shipyards, based in North Vancouver, has a very busy and exciting year ahead, as we continue to make progress on the first of two 174m long Joint Support Ships (JSS) for the Royal Canadian Navy – the largest ships ever built in Canada! We are also constructing an Offshore Oceanographic Science Vessel (OOSV) for the Canadian Coast Guard and have secured significant contracts to build a second JSS, a Polar Icebreaker and several Multi-Purpose Vessels. These projects will bring long-term job stability for many years to come.
Now is the best time to be part of Canada’s shipbuilding industry! Join us and be part of the regeneration of the shipbuilding tradition and become a member of a talented, diverse team that is forging a bright future for Canadian shipbuilding at one of the most modern shipyards in North America.
Please send us your resume today!
Please only send your resume if you are a Red Seal Journeyperson Welder, OR have multiple years of welding experience in an industrial environment.
Required Skills & Qualifications for production welders:
All candidates are required to complete a weld test prior to being offered employment. Testing will be held either in the Shipyard or elsewhere; remote testing will be available in various provinces, such as interior BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
- CWB All Position FCAW Qualification with proof of prolongation of process within the last 3 months and a minimum of 6 Months Validity remaining
- CWB All Position SMAW Qualification with proof of prolongation of process within the last 3 months and a minimum of 6 Months Validity remaining
- Demonstrated proficiency in manual burning using oxy/fuel cutting equipment
- Demonstrated proficiency in air-arc gouging in all positions
And Pipe Welders:
- CWB All Position FCAW Qualification (X-Ray Documentation Required) with proof of prolongation of process within the last 3 months and a minimum of 6 Months Validity remaining
- CWB All Position SMAW Qualification (X-Ray Documentation Required) with proof of prolongation of process within the last 3 months and a minimum of 6 Months Validity remaining
- BCSA PWP 7 and PWP 10 Qualification (or equivalent) with proof of prolongation of process within the last 6 months
- Must be able to pass additional qualification tests required by the Company or the Classification Society governing the build of the ship or project.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Good communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Demonstrated passion for safety and environmental stewardship
- Ability to work positively in a team environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in reading and interpreting welding procedures, blueprints, and drawings
- Must be able to work in a construction environment involving confined spaces, working at heights, physical labour, and various weather conditions
- Must be flexible and able to work all shifts
This is a Union role with Marine & Shipbuilders – Local 506 and offers an excellent health, welfare & pension package after the completion of 480 hours. The full Red Seal Journeyperson will earn $47.42 p/hr (overtime is double time).
If you are interested in future opportunities, please apply online today; OR email your resume directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
By applying, you agree that Seaspan may share your resume with our Union partner, Marine and Shipbuilders Union Local 506.
Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.