Career Level Certification
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID 3780
No. of Openings 1
Your future career opportunity
The Welder and Steel Fitter conducts repairs on tugs and barges supported at the Repair Facility. This includes normal shipboard in service repairs, and more extensive repairs and renewals during refits carried out on site, including fabrication of new or replacement vessel components, welding repairs to vessel hull, deckhouses and bulwarks, onboard piping systems and equipment. This role manages inventory of welding supplies and material stocks, ensuring that welding machine maintenance is carried out.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Repairs damaged or worn hull components, hull structure, bulwarks and fenders, deckhouses and other on-board items ensuring that repairs are completed as requested.
- Fabricates replacement or modified components for ships systems and structures, by performing duties such as welding, constructing new piping spools, brackets, pole holders.
- Assists in the daily routine maintenance of both the facility and vessels. Ensures the shop is tidy and clean with enough supplies.
- Maintains an inventory of welding supplies and material stock. Responsible for relaying requirements and coordinating maintenance of welding machines.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Completion of Grade 12 education, plus post-secondary training in metal/pipe trades. An apprenticeship would be an asset.
- Valid CWB welding tickets (C ticket) is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with both pipe and steel fitting, and aluminum welding, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is needed.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge of relevant legislative requirements applicable to vessel repair and certifications.
- Broad mechanical, electrical and other tradesman skills.
- Proficiency certificates for operation of forklifts, man lifts, and mobile cranes is an asset.
- Interpersonal and communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and is safety focused.
- Planning, organizational, and time management skills.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.