Career Level Certification
Experience 5-7 Years
No. of Openings 1
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,500 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
- A Welder 1 shall perform all operations in the shop necessary to fabricate (using gas metal arc, manual arc or gas welding), pressure piping and vessel systems used on gas transmission and distribution networks will include:
- Interpretation of engineering drawings, spool sheets, etc., laying out of the job, fit up and welding preparations of all components and the pressure testing of completed assemblies and sub-assemblies to determine weld and joint integrity;
- The fabrication of non-pressure components and installation of pressure controlling devices, their associated instrumentation and control lines in prefabricated regulator vaults or similar assemblies.
- In the field shall do pipe line welding including hot tap welds, fire welds and leak repair welds on lines operation up to and including transmission line pressures.
- Will be responsible for running a crew for the installation and maintenance of transmission and distribution mains and services, regulator and meter sets.
- Will be responsible for making as-built drawings and completing and routine reports called for in his day-to-day work.
- May be required to operate high pressure tapping and stopping equipment, propane plants, and mainline compressors, and carry out routine operating and maintenance duties in gate stations.
- Shall be responsible to the designated Manager or Supervisor for the operation of a town distribution system.
- Shall direct and carry out appropriate actions during emergency incidents involving the escape of gas where potential hazard to persons or property exist.
- This employee will act as a crew leader as required, as well as carry out welding functions with the crew.
- Required to hold a minimum B welding qualifications registered in his/her log book.
- Registered with the Boiler and Pressure vessels Branch of BC.
- Must have 5 years demonstrated experience in the gas industry.
- Must be able to obtain Company oxy-acetylene welding ticket
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to direct the activities of other employees under direction.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing, clearly and concisely.
- Knowledge of the Company standards and policies directly affecting the assigned duties.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude to perform the duties of this position correctly and safely.
- Must be able to obtain PE Fusion certificate.
- Residency requirements will apply
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
The safety of our customers and FortisBC family members is our number one priority. To ensure the safety of our employees on our job sites, there is strict adherence to our worksite safety plans and social distancing practices. As an essential service provider, we’ll continue to follow the government COVID-19 guidelines and adjust our plans as necessary. As we welcome new employees, our commitment to safety remains for all of our FortisBC family.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.