Career Level Certification
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID SOUSC001693
No. of Openings 1
Department Guest Operations
The Sous Chef reports to the Train Manager/Senior Onboard Manager and is accountable to the Executive Chef. The Sous Chef is responsible for all culinary and Food Safety Standards, role modeling the values and culture of the organization as well as supporting their team through training, coaching and performance management programs. This position is responsible for delivering culinary excellence to upwards of 500 onboard guests per train and is a key contributor to the creation of life-changing experiences.
This position is deemed Safety Sensitive and requires the incumbent to periodically access an active railway area where impaired performance could result a significant incident affecting the health and safety of team members, guests, team members, the public, property, or the environment.
Key Areas of Accountability
Team Engagement & People Leadership
• Organize the culinary team for each trip to optimize teamwork and performance.
• Collaborate with onboard leadership team to action change and eliminate pain points.
• Develop and mentor culinary team with coaching, audits, feedback and reviews
• Provide support and on the job training for new hires to successfully perform their jobs
• Complete mid-and-end performance reviews and all other performance management functions
Leading Culinary Activities
• Comfortable engaging and interacting with guests
• Responsible for ensuring all meals are prepared and presented according to specifications.
• Ensure the culinary ordering and receiving processes are accurate, including maintaining the correct inventory of food, supplies and products.
• Oversee time management in all railcars. Inspect the quality and presentation of plated meals. Identify and act on opportunities to create business efficiencies and cost savings.
• Maintain and improve service delivery, conduct Quality Assurance Reviews, monitor team members’ input and guest feedback.
• Ensure food safety processes and proper food handling procedures are always followed.
• Ensure daily scheduled cleaning and sanitization of food preparation areas and equipment is completed. Ensure the maintenance of kitchen equipment, standards of slicing techniques, utensil sanitizing, proper refrigeration, heating requirements, hand washing, cross-contamination prevention, spoilage identification, disposal and documentation.
• Ensure defective kitchen equipment is reported according to procedures.
• Ensure all team members are always adhering to both Rocky Mountaineer and railway safety protocols.
Collaboratively work in a team environment
• Able to adapt and work with various teams over the course of a season
• Demonstrate strong time management skills
• Work closely with onboard leadership team to provide seamless services and address any guest issues
• Champion Rocky Mountaineer’s waste reduction program and composting initiatives
• High school diploma or GED
• Post-Secondary degree or diploma is an asset
• Red Seal Culinary Certification is preferred
• BC Food Safe Certification
• Serving It Right (SIR) and ProServe are an asset
• Minimum 3 years people leadership experience
• Minimum 5 years’ experience with line or restaurant cooking
• Experience in leading groups of up to 15 employees required
• Ability and passion to make delicious and visually appealing food every day
• Communicate clearly so that others understand expectations and exactly what to do
• Always display a commitment to food safety
• Establish and foster an open and collaborative relationship with Onboard Leadership
• Highly adaptable, flexible professional who embraces teamwork, but also enjoys working independently
• Technical proficiency in Microsoft office products
• Maintains a professional and polished presence
• Energetic, motivated, hardworking, and committed to delivering culinary excellence
• Demonstrates a professional, accountable work ethic; self-motivated
• Physical endurance and emotional resiliency with the ability to work long days including nights
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
• Able to travel away from home base for up to 6 days at a time
• Driving company vehicles for travel to RM locations as required
• Must be legally authorized to work in Canada thru the end of October 2022