Career Level Equipment Operator
Experience 5-10 Years
No. of Openings 1+
Rundle Construction Inc. is currently looking for experienced Large Diameter Sideboom/Pipelayer Operators for Section 5B of the Transmountain Expansion Project located near Hope, BC. Operators require experience in operation of various brands/types of Sidebooms/Pipelayers in difficult terrain and working conditions such as steep slopes with pipe diameters greater than 24 inches.
- Operate various types of Sidebooms/Pipelayers to lift, move or place equipment or materials.
- Connect and operate Sideboom/Pipelayer attachments, including stringing stick, jib, and winch, safely.
- Operate equipment safely in adverse terrain and on steep slopes with extreme caution and awareness of potential situational hazards to ensure site safety.
- Operate safely with complete awareness of all personnel working around the machine.
- Be aware of situational hazards, including blind spots, pinch points, road crossings, power lines, conflicting right-of-way traffic and proper use of tag lines.
- Conduct pre- and post-trip inspections, maintain equipment checklist, and identify and report any maintenance concerns with the equipment.
- Read, understand, and implement equipment load charts.
- Determine rigging configuration and capacity.
- Troubleshoot and repair basic equipment problems.
- Clean and lubricate equipment.
- Operate two-way radios and other communication equipment.
- Communicate with the equipment spotter to discuss hand signals, blind spots etc.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum 10 years of experience operating a Sideboom/Pipelayer on large diameter pipe.
- Minimum 5 years of experience operating a Sideboom/Pipelayer on steep slope mountainous terrain.
- Requires experience in operating various brands/types of Pipelayers belonging to the Bonatti fleet including CAT 594, Liebherr RL64, SCAIP SPX 960, EPE Superior, Komatsu D355, EPE PL95, or VOLVO 90-ton Pipelayers. The fleet also includes Bonatti manufactured equipment including Bonatti Saf-T-Rex (127-ton rating), Bonatti 90, and the FIAT-HITACHI 450 (Bonatti Built).
- Experience being tethered to mobile and static winch lines.
- Familiarity with the types of slope/terrain conditions that could adversely affect the operation.
- Strong understanding of safety procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of the capacity of each component and the relationships between the length of the boom, boom angle, length of cable, and load limits.
- Knowledge of rigging and hoisting techniques.
- Knowledge of equipment operation, cleaning, and maintenance requirements.
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures including but not limited to backing up procedures, use of spotters, signage, incident reporting, required personal protective equipment and lifting of heavy loads.
- Knowledge of various pipeline construction activities (bending, stringing, lowering in, tie-ins).
- Must have PCST, CSTS, WHIMIS.
- Pre-access drug and alcohol testing required.
- Monday to Saturday (6 and 1).
- Up to 12 hours per day.
- Position may move to a remote location along the right of way.
Please apply with resume and specify the position you are applying for in the subject line.