Career Level Equipment Operator
Experience 5-10 Years
No. of Openings 1+
Rundle Construction Inc. is currently looking for experienced Large Diameter Sideboom/Pipelayer Operators for Section 5B of the Transmountain Expansion Project located near Hope, BC. Operators require experience in operation of various brands/types of Sidebooms/Pipelayers in difficult terrain and working conditions such as steep slopes with pipe diameters greater than 24 inches.
- Operate various types of Sidebooms/Pipelayers to lift, move or place equipment or materials.
- Connect and operate Sideboom/Pipelayer attachments, including stringing stick, jib, and winch, safely.
- Operate equipment safely in adverse terrain and on steep slopes with extreme caution and awareness of potential situational hazards to ensure site safety.
- Operate safely with complete awareness of all personnel working around the machine.
- Be aware of situational hazards, including blind spots, pinch points, road crossings, power lines, conflicting right-of-way traffic and proper use of tag lines.
- Conduct pre- and post-trip inspections, maintain equipment checklist, and identify and report any maintenance concerns with the equipment.
- Read, understand, and implement equipment load charts.
- Determine rigging configuration and capacity.
- Troubleshoot and repair basic equipment problems.
- Clean and lubricate equipment.
- Operate two-way radios and other communication equipment.
- Communicate with the equipment spotter to discuss hand signals, blind spots etc.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum 10 years of experience operating a Sideboom/Pipelayer on large diameter pipe.
- Minimum 5 years of experience operating a Sideboom/Pipelayer on steep slope mountainous terrain.
- Requires experience in operating various brands/types of Pipelayers belonging to the Bonatti fleet including CAT 594, Liebherr RL64, SCAIP SPX 960, EPE Superior, Komatsu D355, EPE PL95, or VOLVO 90-ton Pipelayers. The fleet also includes Bonatti manufactured equipment including Bonatti Saf-T-Rex (127-ton rating), Bonatti 90, and the FIAT-HITACHI 450 (Bonatti Built).
- Experience being tethered to mobile and static winch lines.
- Familiarity with the types of slope/terrain conditions that could adversely affect the operation.
- Strong understanding of safety procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of the capacity of each component and the relationships between the length of the boom, boom angle, length of cable, and load limits.
- Knowledge of rigging and hoisting techniques.
- Knowledge of equipment operation, cleaning, and maintenance requirements.
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures including but not limited to backing up procedures, use of spotters, signage, incident reporting, required personal protective equipment and lifting of heavy loads.
- Knowledge of various pipeline construction activities (bending, stringing, lowering in, tie-ins).
- Must have PCST, CSTS, WHIMIS.
- Pre-access drug and alcohol testing required.
- Monday to Saturday (6 and 1).
- Up to 12 hours per day.
- Position may move to a remote location along the right of way.
Please apply with resume and specify the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.