Career Level Certification
Experience Previous Experience
No. of Openings 1
Rate $49.80 to $60.88/hourly
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,500 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
A Relief System Operator is a member of the System Control Centre (SCC) Operating team. The RSO’s primary function is to relive the System Power Operator. The position requires shift work as per established shift schedules. When not required at the System Control Centre, the incumbent may be assigned to other departments.
- To learn and perform the duties of the System Operator.
- Perform duties normally carried out by a lower classification employee
- NERC certification.
- Diploma in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology program
- Capable of exercising good judgment, and able to handle the stress of the operating job, especially during emergencies. Able to deal courteously with the public via telephone and work cooperatively with fellow employees.
- Have the potential, ability and intent to progress to higher classification in the Control Centre.
- Relief System Operator salary progression as per LOU#6
- The salary range based on the step in progression to System Operator is $49.80 to $60.88 (2021 salary schedule)
- Once fully trained, the RSO will be paid at the SO rate.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
The safety of our customers and FortisBC family members is our number one priority. To ensure the safety of our employees on our job sites, there is strict adherence to our worksite safety plans and social distancing practices. As an essential service provider, we’ll continue to follow the government COVID-19 guidelines and adjust our plans as necessary. As we welcome new employees, our commitment to safety remains for all of our FortisBC family.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.