Career Level Red Seal
Experience Previous Experience
The British Columbia Maritime Employers Association (BCMEA) and the International Longshore & Warehouse Union Local 505 are hiring Red Seal Electricians. Join a thriving and dynamic industry: trades persons will gain exposure to a multitude of mobile and cargo handling equipment and be a member of a preventative maintenance team. Successful candidates will be capable of operating mobile equipment, working at heights and be available to work all shifts as necessary. Applicants holding a valid inter-provincial certification (red seal) are invited to apply and should include their resume, cover letter and a copy of their certification. The terms and conditions of employment can be found in the relevant Collective Agreement posted on the BCMEA website (www.bcmea.com).
The BCMEA: As the BCMEA, we represent approximately 49 waterfront employers and, by extension, the more than 6,000 men and women who work for them. Our customer- members are ship owners and agents, stevedores, container and cruise ship terminal operators. We help optimize our members’ operations by adding our expertise in labour relations, safety & training, and recruiting. BCMEA member companies are a vital part of the BC economy and a mainstay of the coastal community. Operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, our partners move 60 million tonnes of goods worth $53 billion around the globe every year. If you’ve got it, we helped you get it.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
- Troubleshoot and diagnose electrical issues
- Provide recommendations for improvements to equipment and processes
- Read and interpret drawings, blueprints, schematics and electrical code specifications to determine layout of industrial electrical equipment installations.
- Use a wide variety of hand power tools, including mobile equipment in a safe manner
- Compliance with company safety standards to ensure a safe and healthy work environment
- Organize materials and equipment required for projects
- Foster a positive team and company culture by ensuring treatment of others is respectful and aligned with company values
- Ability to work independently, manage time effectively and work with multiple deadlines
- Ability to work alongside fellow electricians as well as other sub-trades and to treat everyone with respect • Perform other duties as assigned by Manager or Supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Interprovincial Electrical Red Seal Certification with experience in similar environment or industry
- Proficiency in English, both verbal and written, with strong communication skills
- Follow state and local building regulations based on the National Electric Code
- Ability to frequently move, carry, lift, push and pull equipment up to 75 lbs without assistance and occasionally greater with assistance
- Perform repetitive motions including bending, kneeling, crouching, climbing and reaching overhead above the shoulders daily
- Adaptable to adverse conditions including confined space, heights, cold weather, odours and animal by-products.
- All applicants will be required to pass a Background Check and Drug and Alcohol test. Qualified applicants may forward resumes and verification of certification to:
- By mail or courier to: BC Maritime Employers Association c/o The Prince Rupert Training Center 712 Fraser Street Prince Rupert, BC. V8J 1P9 Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.