Career Level Certification
Experience Previous Experience
Posting ID RECEI001787
No. of Openings 1
Agriculture has been foundational to the development of the Okanagan Valley and at BC Tree Fruits, we want to continue that legacy as the Valley grows and evolves. BC Tree Fruits has been bringing the communities of the Okanagan Valley together with our delicious, top of the line fruits since 1936, something we will continue to do for decades to come. The BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is owned by fruit growers throughout the entire Okanagan Valley, employs approximately 500 employees, and operates multiple facilities. Our 300 plus LOCAL grower families work together in the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative as part of a larger community. Each grower nurtures their orchards to create the best possible fruit, and by supporting our growers we get to watch the local agriculture COMMUNITY thrive.
Throughout our 85 years in the business, a lot has changed but people’s love for FRESH local Okanagan Fruit is not one of them! The BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is ‘turning a new leaf’ and is ready to take on the challenges and opportunities of our ever-evolving industry. New technologies have allowed for fruit to be in season all year long, making our business more stable and reliable than ever. As we learnt this past year, certain things are essential, and others are not. Our business at BC Tree Fruits is essential and we need devoted and passionate people to join our team. So if fresh, local, and community driven are important values to you, we would encourage you to consider a career at BC Tree Fruits.
The Receiver is responsible for the activities of receiving, storing and the movement of all fruit. This person is also responsibility for controlling and monitoring of the entire slab area. All duties must be performed in a safe manner to ensure compliance with government regulations, industry standards and customer requirements to ensure both food and workers safety.
- Adhere to all WSBC regulations and Cooperative safety procedures, including but not limited to:
- First Aid Procedures
- WHMIS Regulations
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Lockout Procedures
- Adhere to all pertinent Food Safe procedures as required and detailed under the Food Safety program and your training.
- Other duties as assigned by Management within the context of:
- Prepare fruit and bin receipts for grower lots.
- Designate cold storage areas or controlled atmosphere rooms in which fruit is stored and ensure that proper documentation is completed.
- Coordinate the movement of fruit to and from the production lines.
- Maintain complete control of fruit warehousing and create daily grader runs for all production lines.
- Keep quality control of products and packaging, and ensure accuracy of records
- May be required to work overtime at the start or end of shifts.
- Ensure proper product (type and quantity) is loaded and unloaded from the truck according to vendor instructions
- Coordinate, oversee local sales requirements.
- Maintains constant control of condition and location of fruit.
- Transfer of fruit from storage to storage.
- Complete hauling slips.
- Recording of bin movement.
- Date entry into the computer on a daily basis (for grower info, stock etc).
- Mapping of storage areas on a daily basis.
- Conducts grade checking and pressure testing.
- Oversee process shipments.
- Operate a forklift as required.
- Routine lift truck servicing as required.
- Supervise propane filling.
- Constant monitoring, mapping and updating of all fruit in bins and local sales inventory.
- Report any malfunctions of the equipment.
- Working closely with maintenance and supervisors.
- Will be required to cross-train in all locations within this specific classification.
- Must perform starch tests as required
- Must participate in annual re-training
- Any other duties as assigned within nature of the job.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Be willing to submit to periodic proficiency testing as Management deems necessary.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with fellow employees and Management.
- Be able to work with or without direct supervision, individually or part of a team.
- Well organized with the ability to maintain and keep clear, accurate, and detailed records with legible hand writing.
- Proven diligence in following all WSBC and Cooperative work safe policies and procedures.
- Be physically capable to perform all duties as required, including heavy labour and sustained strenuous physical activity.
- Must be reliable and maintain above average attendance.
- Must be able to perform tasks to the required standards.
- Must be comfortable working with computers and proprietary software
- Able to work all shifts, including afternoons, evenings and weekends, 8 hour or 10 hour shifts, as required.
- Be comfortable working with and around machinery in a team environment.
- Have sufficient knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to coordinate and control the receiving and disbursement of fruit within the various storage areas.
- Be able to work with various computer programs necessary to handle the receiving function.
- Possess basic keyboarding skills with computer knowledge.
- Submit to a criminal record check and obtain Level 1 First Aid and WHMIS certification
- Have valid forklift certification; or previously been a certified forklift operator
- Maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing and provide an annual driver’s abstract
- Must have an above average forklift skill set, based on efficiency and safety
- Must have successfully completed the probationary period.
BC Tree Fruits thanks all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those under consideration for the position will be contacted. Visit www.bctreefruits.com for more information on the cooperative and future employment opportunities.