Career Level Red Seal
Experience 5-7 Years
No. of Openings 1
Union/Non Union Position
Planning & Design Technician – Electric Distribution
Location: Oliver, BC, CA
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary: $3,010.00 Bi-weekly
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
The purpose of this position is to work with internal and external customers to determine current and future requirements for new connect and upgrade related projects. This role will design and estimate small to medium scope projects with respect to location, load and service type. It will also provide coordination and manage quality control for delivery of projects as required. In addition, this position will provide customers with service requirements and accountabilities and provide/confirm technical and field information to Planning and Design Technologists.
- Coordinates projects, including but not limited to:
- defining customer requirements and project scope, creating and maintaining customer data,
- ensuring all service product requirements are collected,
- explaining FortisBC processes, procedures and requirements to customers,
- selecting the appropriate service products and pricing,
- conveying related permit requirements to customers,
- provide estimates on a distribution projects,
- provide cost effective constructible design and project management for new services of standard complexity.
- Processes jobs, including but not limited to:
- reviewing foreign utility data, legal land-base considerations and geography to determine appropriate electrical layout and design in accordance with FortisBC standards,
- provide field support to Planning and Design Technologists for designing complex services,
- manage projects focusing on safety, customer deadlines, requirements and cost. Determine requirements for and request internal and external resources such as surveying, lands and brushing and identify specialized equipment required,
- completing electronic layout or Engineering drawings,
- select safe and economic line routes, satisfying numerous and varied construction and design criteria as well as customer needs, while taking into account present and future load requirements,
- identifying and requisitioning required inventoried materials and manufactured items,
- explaining FortisBC procedures, policies, rate processes and municipal, provincial and federal regulations to customers,
- working with customers and authorities to ensure all service products requirements are collected and met.
- Supports completion of the job and maintains customer relations, including but not limited to:
- building relationships with current, repeat and potential customers and external contacts,
- responding to customer inquiries including but not limited to installation costs, bill calculations, and the scheduling of work,
- acting as primary contact for builder/developers and internal/external customers,
- complete staking and underground locating for projects – may also involve profiling for ensuring proper clearances, underground locating, using staking data to determine pole locations, locate and apply survey evidence.
- Responds to a variety of operational and maintenance issues, which may include (but are not limited to), overbuilds/upgrades of electrical distribution related to all customer classes, as identified by both the customer requests and company programs.
- Provides direction to other roles within the department.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties, including driving a vehicle, which do not affect the rating of the job.
- Successful completion of a Diploma from an accredited post-secondary institution in a directly related field (e.g. Electrical Engineering Technologist Diploma), or completion of a Red Seal Journeyman Trade in a related field (e.g. Power Line Technician Trade).
- 5 years related experience in powerline distribution and operations, including design, construction, maintenance, and operation of distribution powerline facilities.
- Staking and site layout or surveying skills.
- Knowledge of electrical distribution systems.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply legal plans and electrical codes – Canadian Electrical Code.
- Knowledge of Land Survey Act.
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer systems including Word, Excel, Access and MS Outlook Comprehensive knowledge of GIS systems (e.g. ArcFM, Smallworld, Fieldview).
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a dynamic environment which includes both independent, self-driven work and working in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage a wide variety of tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems of a technical nature, and understand the implication of costs, risks, operability and safety.
- Communicates in a courteous and professional manner when dealing with internal and external customers and stakeholders, including strong collaboration and interpersonal skills and the ability to participate and provide direction within a positive team environment.
- Valid BC driver’s license.
- This position has restricted holiday availability based on operational requirements for certain months of the year, as per Article 14 of the MoveUp/FortisBC Collective Agreement.
- This position may involve working shift work or late coverage depending on customer and operational requirements. (There is potential for day, afternoon and night shifts, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day)
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.