Career Level High School or Equivalent
Experience Previous Experience
No. of Openings 1
Training Provided Yes
OTR TIRE TECHNICIAN – Rainy River
- Fort Frances, ON
- Winnipeg, MB
The Kal Tire Mining Tire Group has been servicing mine sites since 1972 where we quickly established a reputation for reliability, innovation and outstanding service. Our objective remains simple: to deliver services and products of measurable value to our customers. Kal Tire now operates in 15 countries and continues to grow every day. With our team developing, we are seeking an individual who is keen to progress in their career, passionate about leading people and delivering quality service.
Rainy River mine is an open pit, underground gold mine. The mine is located approximately 65 kilometers northwest of Fort Frances in Northwestern Ontario. The shift schedule for this position would be 14×14.
While previous experience in a related role within the mining sector is preferred, it is not a necessary requirement. Kal Tire offers comprehensive training for this position and is willing to consider all candidates who apply regardless of their previous experience.
- Learn and perform all aspects of tire shop work related to the customer sites.
- Assist mine maintenance staff as required.
- Perform appropriate maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Maintain appropriate tire inspection and maintenance programs on site.
- Perform after-hours call-outs and alternate MTG site vacation as coverage as required.
- Demonstrate and promote best practices to the customer.
Operational / Technical
- Dismount and mount tires for a variety of vehicles for the mining tire industry.
- Ensure that all tires are mounted safely and according to load requirements.
- Perform equipment checks and calibrations as well as wheel alignment.
- Fit and remove wheels from any type of vehicle.
- Mount and strip any type of tire and assemble rims.
- Balance any type of tire and rim assembly.
- Perform repairs to tires and tubes.
- Perform Inspections and determine the suitability of wheel components to remain in service.
- Operate heavy-duty tire servicing equipment and tools.
- Conduct maintenance checks and ensure all work is done according to Kal Tire work and safety standards.
- Complete required reporting and logging of data, as required.
- Ensure the warehouse is maintained in an orderly, clean, and safe manner.
- Assist in maintaining stock for tire-related equipment.
Health, Safety, and Environment
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations and requirements.
- Ensure that hygiene standards are maintained in the facility.
- Report hazards, unsafe work conditions and equipment to your Supervisor/lead hand so the appropriate action to eliminate or reduce the risk to acceptable levels.
- Report all incidents and injuries according to procedures.
- Assist and co-operate with the site safety representative to resolve safety issues identified.
- Use and maintain Personal Protective Equipment at all times.
- Perform vehicle Pre-start checks according to procedures.
- Actively participate in regular meetings and inspections in order to promote and improve safety in the workplace and document accordingly.
- Read and confirm incident notices and other safety information conveyed to all personnel.
- Comply with site emergency evacuation procedures.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
The Key Performance Indicators are evolving and currently include:
- All safety standards are followed and work is performed without incident to team, equipment or tires.
- Correct and safe use of tire service tools and equipment are performed.
- LMS and Velocity are used monthly as per guidelines.
- Tires are repaired efficiently to meet the needs of the customer.
- Team member contributes to the smooth operations of the Kal Tire shop.
- At least two years of related experience with direct experience as a tire technician preferred.
- OTR service training and certifications desired.
- Experience operating and maintaining tire manipulators, forklifts, and service trucks.
- Experience working in an environment where safety procedures are a key part of daily operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Able to physically perform the duties of an OTR Tire Technician safely.
- Able to obtain and maintain all applicable licenses, certificates as required to perform the duties as required to work at mine sites.
- Able to perform mechanically related tasks.
- Able to follow all safety procedures and work in a safe manner.
- Able to work in a results-oriented, fast-paced environment as part of a team.
- Must be a self-starter and willing to take the initiative, solve problems, be able and willing to work without direct supervision, and be willing to attend appropriate training sessions.
- Understand tire failure causes and analysis.
- Good communication skills and ability to express themselves well both verbally and in writing.
- Good literacy and numeracy
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent.
- Additional certification and training preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to comply with relevant insurance policies.
Kal Tire offers a culture that fosters inclusion and respect. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment or employment process. Applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements known.