Career Level General Labour
Experience Entry Level
Posting ID OPERA001691
No. of Openings 1
BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is currently looking for a motivated individual who is committed to quality service as an Operations Grading Technician at our Northern locations (Winfield & Kelowna). This position will be responsible for the grading and sizing of fruit using computerized sorting equipment and identifying any maintenance concerns and developing, and implementing corrective and preventive measures to keep production optimally running. This position is required to work afternoon shifts (4:00pm – 12:30am).
Why Work with BC Tree Fruits?
Agriculture has been foundational to the development of the Okanagan Valley and at BC Tree Fruits, we want to continue that legacy as the Valley grows and evolves. BC Tree Fruits has been bringing the communities of the Okanagan Valley together with our delicious, top of the line fruits since 1936, something we will continue to do for decades to come. The BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is owned by fruit growers throughout the entire Okanagan Valley, employs approximately 500 employees, and operates multiple facilities. Our 300 plus LOCAL grower families work together in the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative as part of a larger community. Each grower nurtures their orchards to create the best possible fruit, and by supporting our growers we get to watch the local agriculture COMMUNITY thrive.
Throughout our 85 years in the business, a lot has changed but people’s love for FRESH local Okanagan Fruit is not one of them! The BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is ‘turning a new leaf’ and is ready to take on the challenges and opportunities of our ever-evolving industry. New technologies have allowed for fruit to be in season all year long, making our business more stable and reliable than ever. As we learnt this past year, certain things are essential, and others are not. Our business at BC Tree Fruits is essential and we need devoted and passionate people to join our team. So if fresh, local, and community driven are important values to you, we would encourage you to consider a career at BC Tree Fruits.
• Responsibility for the grading and sizing of fruit using computerized sorting equipment
• Identifying maintenance concerns and developing, and implementing corrective and preventive measures
• Utilize knowledge and experience to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve simple and complex problems quickly and effectively.
• Understand and utilize documented procedures to perform assigned duties
• Complete required forms and documentation to sustain operations
• Review and discuss grading and financial documentation.
• Inspect/Monitor fruit quality on the production lines. Make software grading adjustments based on quality control readings
• Analyze data and images to identify patterns and trends
• Photograph, document, and communicate problematic fruit conditions to Management and Field Service departments
• Enter bin inventory into BC Tree Fruits Inventory Management System
• Clean/Maintain all camera/lighting/scale equipment according to maintenance schedule
• Strive to meet daily production targets and objectives
• Perform weekly/monthly software backups
• Complete Maintenance tickets in timely manner
• Remotely access computer software on the production lines for maintenance and monitoring
The Ideal Candidate
• Excellent written/verbal communication skills
• Excellent computer/technical abilities
• Extraordinary problem solving skills
• Patient and able to stay calm under pressure
• Be able to work with or without direct supervision, individually or part of a team
• Well organized with the ability to maintain and keep clear, accurate, and detailed records with legible hand writing
• Proven diligence in following all WSBC and Cooperative work safe policies and procedures
• Must be reliable and maintain above average attendance
• Able to work all shifts, including afternoons, evenings and weekends, 8 hour or 10 hour shifts, as required. Please note this position may be working mostly on the night shift.
• Have knowledge relative to the testing of all fruit and recording of information
• Have knowledge of Federal Government and Industry Grade Standards (asset)
• Be comfortable working with and around machinery in a team environment.
• Knowledge in network and communication systems
• Works well and has a great understanding of computers
• Experience with grading technology a major asset
• Experience troubleshooting plant process or mechanical problems an asset
• Diploma or Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Valid Driver’s License
BC Tree Fruits thanks all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those under consideration for the position will be contacted. Visit www.bctreefruits.com for more information on the cooperative and future employment opportunities.
Please reference mytrades.ca in your application to this job posting!