Career Level Post Secondary Diploma
Experience 5-7 Years
Posting ID 21005019
No. of Openings 1
We’re growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada’s shipbuilding industry and provide Canada’s sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada’s current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking an Operating Environment Engineer to be part of the Survivability Team on the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Program.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: Post-secondary education in a relevant Engineering Discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Naval ship design.
- Experience in the following fields:
- Project Management or Engineering on large, complex defence projects
- Project controls, tools, performance management, scheduling, and project delivery
- Coordination with multiple organizations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of warship construction and configuration
- Knowledge of a shipyard production environment
- Problem solving skills and ability to lead and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, NATO Secret Clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Working as part of the Survivability Team, the Operating Environment Engineer will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders and given the transversal nature of subject, will be trusted with supporting many aspects of the CSC Program.
The Operating Environment Engineer will:
- Support the subject of Operating Environment (N&V, H&S, Shock, Humidity)
- Provide subject matter expertise in Noise and Vibration
- Provide expert knowledge of Canadian Health and Safety Regulations
- Provide expert knowledge of Climatic and Meteorological Environment
- Provide expert knowledge of the conditions related to the Marine Environment
- Support activities and provide oversight to Modelling & Simulation
- Support the development of Tests & Trials
- Pro-actively lead the generation of Operating Environment Practice & Policy
- Support the development of Canada’s future shipbuilders
- Define the process and set the criteria for internal and external Design Reviews and assist in the management of Design Reviews
- Ensure quality and timeliness of work is completed within budgeted parameters
- Foster an environment that is focused on safety and recommend process improvement initiatives
- Comply with all company procedures
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
- Relocation Costs
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.