Career Level Red Seal
Experience 5-7 Years
Posting ID 22006563
No. of Openings Multiple
Department Production & Skilled Trades
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada’s shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we’re just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada’s shipbuilding industry and provide Canada’s sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada’s current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking Metal Fabricators (Red Seal).
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: Associate’s Degree/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
- Years of Experience Required: 5-8+ or more years of fabrication, assembly, and fitting experience utilizing various tools and equipment
- For Ironworkers: Metal fabrication trade certification
- For Ironworkers: Experience working in Marine/Industrial industry is considered an asset
- For Marine Fabricators: Pipefitting trade certification, or equivalent knowledge and experience – a multiple combination of these skills will be required
- For Marine Fabricators: WHMIS Certificate
- For Marine Fabricators: Willingness to train on multiple pieces of equipment
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be completed by the Employer
- Full trade flexibility is required
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Measure, cut, grind, fit, align and tack weld parts
- Layout of reference points and patterns
- Assemble and fit plates and sections to form structures
- Layout construct patterns and templates
- Read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings, blueprints and procedures
- Physical effort and work conditions:
- For Marine Fabricators: Irving Shipbuilding’s Windmill Road location is a state of the art, smoke free working environment
- For Marine Fabricators: As a part of Irving Shipbuilding’s strong commitment to health and safety, candidates will be required to participate in daily stretch and flex exercises
- For Marine Fabricators: Candidates will be required to wear respiratory protective equipment and must comply with all safety regulations regarding the proper fit and use of this personal protective equipment
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms
- Stand, stoop, bend, kneel, and climb
- Work in confined spaces and inclement weather
- Support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate
- Work may be performed indoors and outdoors
- You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds
- Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
- For Ironworker: Areas of specialization: structural metal or steel, plate work, shipbuilding, pressure vessels
- For Ironworker: Install interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc. to complete all of the steel work in the ship
- For Ironworker: Instruct and mentor apprentices
- For Marine Fabricator: Work in a new fabrication environment
- For Marine Fabricator: Operation of CNC machines
- For Marine Fabricator: Set-up Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) and Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW) equipment for welding
- For Marine Fabricator: Select the proper weld filler material
- For Marine Fabricator: Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment, semi-automatic flame or plasma cutting equipment
- For Marine Fabricator: Layout, fabricate, fit up a pipe assembly including fittings, flanges and valves utilizing various tools and equipment
- For Marine Fabricator: Work with various pipe materials such as carbon steel, copper-nickel, and stainless steel along with the appropriate valves and fitting
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies;
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” in your application to this job posting!