Career Level Certification
Experience 5-10 Years
Posting ID 21004797
No. of Openings Multiple
METAL WORKERS (RED SEAL OR JOURNEYPERSON) / MARINE FABRICATORS / IRONWORKERS
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company’s commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
Irving Shipbuilding is seeking Metal Fabricators (Red Seal or Journeyperson) / Marine Fabricators / Ironworkers for current opportunities.
For Metal Workers/Ironworkers: Ironworkers are responsible for the use of various tools and equipment in the fabrication, assembly and erection of metal parts for the construction of modular units utilized in the various stages of the building of a marine vessel.
For Marine Fabricators: Marine Fabricators are responsible for performing work with skills that may include metal fabrication, welding, pipe fabrication or any combination of these disciplines.
- Education Required: Associate’s Degree/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
- Years of Experience Required: 5-8+ or more years of fabrication, assembly, and fitting experience utilizing various tools and equipment
- For Ironworkers: Metal fabrication trade certification
- For Ironworkers: Experience working in Marine/Industrial industry is considered an asset
- For Marine Fabricators: Pipefitting trade certification, or equivalent knowledge and experience – a multiple combination of these skills will be required
- For Marine Fabricators: WHMIS Certificate
- For Marine Fabricators: Willingness to train on multiple pieces of equipment
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be completed by the Employer
- Full trade flexibility is required
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Measure, cut, grind, fit, align and tack weld parts
- Layout of reference points and patterns
- Assemble and fit plates and sections to form structures
- Layout construct patterns and templates
- Read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings, blueprints and procedures
- Physical effort and work conditions:
- For Marine Fabricators: Irving Shipbuilding’s Windmill Road location is a state of the art, smoke free working environment
- For Marine Fabricators: As a part of Irving Shipbuilding’s strong commitment to health and safety, candidates will be required to participate in daily stretch and flex exercises
- For Marine Fabricators: Candidates will be required to wear respiratory protective equipment and must comply with all safety regulations regarding the proper fit and use of this personal protective equipment
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms
- Stand, stoop, bend, kneel, and climb
- Work in confined spaces and inclement weather
- Support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate
- Work may be performed indoors and outdoors
- You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds
- Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
- For Ironworker: Areas of specialization: structural metal or steel, plate work, shipbuilding, pressure vessels
- For Ironworker: Install interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc. to complete all of the steel work in the ship
- For Ironworker: Instruct and mentor apprentices
- For Marine Fabricator: Work in a new fabrication environment
- For Marine Fabricator: Operation of CNC machines
- For Marine Fabricator: Set-up Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) and Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW) equipment for welding
- For Marine Fabricator: Select the proper weld filler material
- For Marine Fabricator: Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment, semi-automatic flame or plasma cutting equipment
- For Marine Fabricator: Layout, fabricate, fit up a pipe assembly including fittings, flanges and valves utilizing various tools and equipment
- For Marine Fabricator: Work with various pipe materials such as carbon steel, copper-nickel, and stainless steel along with the appropriate valves and fitting
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.