Career Level Post Secondary Degree
Experience 5-7 Years
Posting ID 3520
No. of Openings 1
The Mechanical Engineer, HVAC is responsible for participating in all phases of new construction design projects including: requirements decomposition, design preparations, Supporting analysis, material selection and specification, engineering execution, and engineering close-out activities.
- Provides engineering and design solutions in assigned area of Marine Systems by reviewing and assessing design and calculation packages to ensure contract design requirements are met supports the Project Marine Technical Lead by providing guidance and oversight to other junior engineers, designer or subcontractors.
- Develops and/or reviews design documents for naval vessels in order to achieve customer, Classification Society and regulatory approval.
- Develops and/or Reviews material specifications and bills of material in accordance with Seaspan material strategies and customer requirements.
- Provides assistance to suppliers and subcontractors related to the Marine Systems design to achieve contract, cost and schedule performance.
- Reviews third party piping or machinery system designs against the requirements.
- Designs/Reviews piping or machinery systems to align with the requirements.
- Performs calculations and / or reviews third party calculations to validate the system design and compliance with the requirements.
- Generates equipment purchase specifications
- Reviews vendor information against the requirements
- Pro-actively ensures the design tasks are conducted in partnership with other engineering subject areas and ensuring good communication of design interfaces with other teams
- Develops and manages the Bill of Materials associated with specific systems
- Develops the maturity of parts associated with the Bill of Materials
- Liaises with internal clients with regard to the design outputs
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Systems or Mechanical Engineering is required.
- P.Eng designation is ideally preferred.
- A minimum 5 years post-secondary experience working in HVAC Mechanical Systems or Mechanical Engineering fields is required.
- Previous Shipyard experience in New Ship Construction is desired.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Technical knowledge and engineering skills
- Proven ability to work independently to develop solutions to technical problems
- Above average analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesise data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems a plus.
- Solid understanding of ShipConstructor and ACAD software, document control systems and databases desired
- Good organizational skills
- Strong communication skills including written, verbal, listening and presentation are required
- Availability and willingness to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is vital or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to align with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules
- PC proficiency required. Solid understanding of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.