Career Level High School or Equivalent
Experience 2-5 Years
Posting ID 3835
No. of Openings 1
Rate Union Hourly
Your future career opportunity
Seaspan Shipyards is proud to be Canada’s long-term, strategic shipbuilding partner for the Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Navy. As a direct result of this work, while creating jobs and rebuilding our domestic shipbuilding industry, Seaspan Shipyards is delivering on the promise of ships built in Canada, by Canadians.
2021 has been an exciting year at Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards, based in North Vancouver, as we continue to make progress on the first of two 174m long Joint Support Ships (JSS) for the Royal Canadian Navy – the largest ships ever built in Canada! We have begun the construction on an Offshore Oceanographic Science Vessel (OOSV) for the Canadian Coast Guard and have secured a significant contract to build a Polar Icebreaker. These projects will bring long-term job stability for years to come.
As a Painter/Blaster you will perform a variety of tasks throughout the production process, while upholding Seaspan’s Core Values of Safety, Care and Efficiency. You will have an opportunity to develop new skills, techniques specific to the shipbuilding industry — that rely on some of the most state-of-the-art equipment in the world.
Painter/Blasters primarily work in surface preparation and painting of the ships under construction and perform surface preparation by mechanical tools, blasting and various methods of painting utilizing marine coatings to specified contract requirements. Painter/Blasters must have experience with the use of a variety of blast methods, experience in conventional, airless, and plural component application.
If you are interested in being part of the regeneration of the Canadian shipbuilding industry and secure well-paid work spanning the coming decade and beyond, then please send us your application today!
The requirements listed below are represent the knowledge, skills and ability required to succeed:
- Apply coatings by operating conventional spray systems, airless spray systems, and plural spray systems. Proficient in the application and use of plural spray systems preferred.
- Safely operate various types of equipment and tools such as blast pots, spray guns, airless spray systems, sandblasting tools and equipment and rust removal hand and pneumatic tools
- Spray with the consistent thickness, as well as apply paint with brush and roll
- Apply epoxy, polyurethane, and high solids coatings, etc
- Knowledge of various blasts methods and processes (wet & dry blast)
- Mixing of paints as per manufacture instructions
- Operate and maintain spray equipment when not pushing paint through, line and guns blockages, and general equipment trouble shooting
- Apply masking materials to protect designated areas from paint and over spray
- Ability to understand and read and interpret material safety and data sheet. An understanding of drawings, sketches, and/or blueprints is a benefit
- Apply masking materials to protect designated areas from the abrasive blasting
- Meet environmental requirements and best Shipyard practices in acquisition, application, removal and disposal of paint, paint waste or residuals in accordance with all requirements and federal and province laws
- Perform other related duties as required
Education & Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent vocational education
- Minimum 2 years of coatings related experience in shipbuilding and/or industrial industries
- Knowledge/experience with industrial high performance coatings is a benefit
- Knowledge/experience of modern shipbuilding process and terminology is a benefit
- Ability to read engineering/masking drawings and specifications is a benefit
- Possess knowledge of (SSPC/NACE) coating standards
- Good communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Ability to work in a team environment or individually with a positive attitude
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Disclaimers : By applying, you agree that Seaspan may share your resume with our Union partner, Marine and Shipbuilders Union Local 506.
Note : Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.