Career Level Red Seal
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID LOCOM001611
No. of Openings 1
Department Technical Operations
Rocky Mountaineer is the world’s largest privately owned luxury passenger rail service. We are committed to living our values: Create Meaningful Moments, Be One Team, Achieve Extraordinary Outcomes.
Reporting to the Assistant Superintendent, Operations & Mechanical (ASOM), the Locomotive Electrician is an integral team member of Rocky Mountaineer Maintenance team. The Locomotive Electrician will be responsible for performing maintenance and troubleshooting issues with the locomotives and its components.
As a Rocky Mountaineer team member, you will be working alongside a diverse group of trades people who are committed to working together, supporting our values and ensuring we are always on brand as a world class luxury rail tour company.
This position is deemed Safety Critical and pre-employment testing will be required. Final candidates must successfully pass a safety critical medical exam and will undergo medical monitoring as prescribed by Transport Canada. This position requires you to periodically access an active railway area where impaired performance could result in a significant incident affecting the health and safety of team members, guests, the public, property, or the environment.
Key Areas of Accountability
• Ensure locomotive compliance with rules/regulations for safety, operations, Transport Canada
• Diagnose locomotive low/high voltage electrical problems using diagrams or schematics and perform necessary maintenance
• Inspect locomotive assets, make recommendations, and execute repairs as needed
• Wire, maintain, repair, rebuild, inspect, and install electrical equipment, including but not limited to rheostats, control systems, transformers, motors, generators, electric lighting fixtures, cab heaters, batteries and their charging systems, speed recorders, air compressor controls, temperature switches, starters, axle generators, coils, contactors, relays, and governors
• Troubleshoot and test single and three phases electrical systems on diesel electric locomotives which include grounded components and wiring, high and low voltage, wheel slip, transition and electrical load or no-load conditions
• Comply with all Canadian Railway Operating Rules (CROR), and General Operating Instructions (GOI) and all other safety policies, procedures & rules
• Identify, protect & report safety hazards to management & OH&S Committee
• Must wear required PPE as prescribed by Rocky Mountaineer and host railways
• Maintain basic first aid level provided by Rocky Mountaineer
• Support the successful execution of the Operating Plan
• Support safe movement of rail equipment
• Execute the company’s material handling strategy
• Support operational and equipment availability requirements
• Support 5S Lean methodology to seek continuous improvement efficiencies
• This position may require the ability to train for and perform switching duties
• Able to read, understand, and interpret schematics, manuals and other instructions pertaining to equipment
• Train for the use of equipment and hand tools
• Execute a successful Maintenance Program
• Ensure completion of work orders maintaining brand standards
• Execute mechanical and reliability requirements
Education, Certification, Licenses
• Red-Seal Journeyperson certificate or equivalent trade designation
• Wide-ranging familiarity of CEC
• High school diploma
• First aid level 1 certification, an asset
• Valid driver’s license
• Qualification and/or proven knowledge in safe heavy equipment operations such as forklifts, cranes, etc.
• Qualification and/or proven knowledge in safe small hand tool handling (grinders, drills, etc.)
• Previous qualification under CROR operating rules, an asset
• Must be proficient with AC/DC electrical systems and locomotive repairs/maintenance
• Must possess minimum five years relevant locomotive work experience
• Ability to work on all locomotives electrical systems
• Experience with EMD GP40-X locomotives units, an asset
• High attention to detail with a desire to maintain brand standards
• May require occasional travel
• Physical demands may require lifting up to 80 lbs. on occasion
• Rail industrial site that requires walking and sitting throughout the day
• 24/7 operation that may require varied work schedules
• Indoor/outdoor working environment
Rocky Mountaineer (RM) is committed to the safety and health of our team members through providing a safe working environment. As a federally regulated transportation organization, we have a duty to comply with all applicable legislative requirements.
Therefore, all individuals who will start working with RM on November 12, 2021 onwards, will be required to present proof of vaccination confirming they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning their employment. An individual is fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving their second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or their first dose of a one-dose approved vaccine by Health Canada. Offers of employment to start work with RM on or after November 12, 2021 will be conditional upon receipt of proof of the job candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Note: Reasonable accommodations will be considered if they comply with the medical or religious exemptions permitted by applicable federal legislation and ministerial orders.