Career Level Red Seal
Experience 1- 3 Years
No. of Openings 1
Department SOM Kamloops
Rate 40.58 p/h plus differentials
Union/Non Non-Union Position
Training Provided Yes
Rocky Mountaineer is the world’s largest privately owned luxury passenger rail service. We are committed to living our values: Create Meaningful Moments, Be One Team, Achieve Extraordinary Outcomes.
Reporting to the Assistant Superintendent, Operations & Mechanical (ASOM), the Locomotive Electrician is an integral team member of Rocky Mountaineer Maintenance team. The Locomotive Electrician will be responsible for performing maintenance and troubleshooting issues with the locomotives and its components.
As a Rocky Mountaineer team member, you will be working alongside a diverse group of trades people who are committed to working together, supporting our values and ensuring we are always on brand as a world class luxury rail tour company.
This position is deemed Safety Critical and pre-employment testing will be required. Final candidates must successfully pass a safety critical medical exam and will undergo medical monitoring as prescribed by Transport Canada.
What we offer:
- Competitive Wage & additional shift premiums
- Flexible Schedules & Work/Life Balance
- Complimentary Rail Passes annually
- Friends & Family Discounts for rail journeys and merchandise
- 100% employer paid extended health and dental and vision
- Employer RRSP Matching Program
- Bonus Program
- 3 weeks vacation to start
- High performing and supportive team
- Fun team events like BBQ and carwash fundraiser, golf tournaments, annual Christmas party, family Christmas train, and more!
Key Areas of Accountability
• Ensure locomotive compliance with rules/regulations for safety, operations, Transport Canada
• Diagnose locomotive low/high voltage electrical problems using diagrams or schematics and perform necessary maintenance
• Inspect locomotive assets, make recommendations, and execute repairs as needed
• Wire, maintain, repair, rebuild, inspect, and install electrical equipment, including but not limited to rheostats, control systems, transformers, motors, generators, electric lighting fixtures, cab heaters, batteries and their charging systems, speed recorders, air compressor controls, temperature switches, starters, axle generators, coils, contactors, relays, and governors
• Troubleshoot and test single and three phases electrical systems on diesel electric locomotives which include grounded components and wiring, high and low voltage, wheel slip, transition and electrical load or no-load conditions
Education, Certification, Licenses
• Red-Seal Journeyperson certificate or equivalent trade designation
• Wide-ranging familiarity of CEC
• High school diploma
• First aid level 1 certification, an asset
• Valid driver’s license
• Qualification and/or proven knowledge in safe heavy equipment operations such as forklifts, cranes, etc.
• Qualification and/or proven knowledge in safe small hand tool handling (grinders, drills, etc.)
• Previous qualification under CROR operating rules, an asset
• Must be proficient with AC/DC electrical systems and locomotive repairs/maintenance
• Must possess minimum five years relevant locomotive work experience
• Ability to work on all locomotives electrical systems
• Experience with EMD GP40-X locomotives units, an asset
• High attention to detail with a desire to maintain brand standards
• May require occasional travel
• Physical demands may require lifting up to 80 lbs. on occasion
• Rail industrial site that requires walking and sitting throughout the day
• 24/7 operation that may require varied work schedules
• Indoor/outdoor working environment