Career Level High School or Equivalent
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID LEADC001763
No. of Openings 1
Department Guest Operations
Your exciting new role is waiting for you onboard the Rocky Mountaineer. Our world-renowned luxury train travels from Vancouver through Kamloops to Lake Louise/Banff as well as to Jasper, Alberta.
Salary is $21.75 an hour plus gratuities. You are also eligible for a year end retention bonus of $2.00 for every hour worked during the season and you will be eligible for our Health Care Spending Account.
Joining our Onboard team at Rocky Mountaineer means surrounding yourself with great people, achieving extraordinary outcomes and making life changing experiences not only for our guests but each other.
Join Our Team.
The Lead Cook reports to the Sous Chef. Lead cooks prepare food and assist in managing and developing other culinary workers. The position is accountable for delivering culinary excellence to onboard guests and contributes to the creation of life-changing experiences.
This position is deemed Safety Sensitive. This position requires the incumbent to periodically access an active railway area where impaired performance could result in a significant incident affecting the health and safety of team members, guests, team members, the public, property, or the environment
Key Areas of Accountability
Leading the Kitchen to ensure a collaborative team environment
• Able to lead a 3-person team with minimal supervision
• Focused on teamwork in order to maintain an efficient operational flow and high morale
• Responsible for the time management of services and ensuing all team members are ready and well organized.
• Provide support and on the job training for new hires to successfully perform their jobs
• Maintain the inventory of food by completing orders and organizing deliveries
• Work closely with Onboard Hosts and Leadership to provide seamless services and address any guest issues.
• Work with the Sous Chef to look for efficiencies in our operations
• Lead the composting initiatives in your work area
Food Preparation and daily duties
• Able to adapt to a small kitchen galley environment
• Knowledgeable about food allergies and dietary requirements and able to cater to the guests needs
• Follow pre-established recipes and menus while completing service in a timely manner.
• Timely execution of daily and on-going food preparation
• Maintain checklists and daily HACCP logs
Maintaining Health and Safety Standards
• Ensure all daily and end of trip cleaning routines are properly followed
• Well versed in food safety and proper food handling procedures
• Responsible to ensure all equipment is properly maintained and handled
• Report safety issues to your supervisor in a timely manner
• Ensure the team is aware of and complying with railway safety standards
• High school diploma or GED
• BC Food Safe certified
• Fluency in English language
• Minimum 3 years’ experience as a line cook or restaurant cook
• Previous Experience in a Supervisory Role
• Experience managing inventory and proper product use to eliminate waste and spillage
• Communicate clearly so that others understand expectations
• Multitask to perform various cooking and managing duties simultaneously
• Ability and passion to make delicious and well-presented food
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Maintains a professional and polished appearance
• Energetic, motivated, hardworking, and committed to delivering culinary excellence
• Demonstrates a professional, accountable work ethic; self-motivated
• Comfortable engaging and interacting with guests
• Exceptional physical endurance and emotional resiliency with the ability to work long days
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
• Able to travel away from home base for up to 6 days at a time
• Must be legally authorized to work in Canada thru the end of October 2022