Career Level Journeyman
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID JOURN001838
No. of Openings 1
BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is currently looking to add a Full-Time Journeyperson Refrigeration Mechanic to our talent base by identifying enthusiastic, career minded, innovative and most importantly team players who are willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
Why Work with BC Tree Fruits?
Agriculture has been foundational to the development of the Okanagan Valley and at BC Tree Fruits, we want to continue that legacy as the Valley grows and evolves. BC Tree Fruits has been bringing the communities of the Okanagan Valley together with our delicious, top of the line fruits since 1936, something we will continue to do for decades to come. The BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is owned by fruit growers throughout the entire Okanagan Valley, employs approximately 500 employees, and operates multiple facilities. Our 300 plus LOCAL grower families work together in the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative as part of a larger community. Each grower nurtures their orchards to create the best possible fruit, and by supporting our growers we get to watch the local agriculture COMMUNITY thrive.
Throughout our 85 years in the business, a lot has changed but people’s love for FRESH local Okanagan Fruit is not one of them! The BC Tree Fruits Cooperative is ‘turning a new leaf’ and is ready to take on the challenges and opportunities of our ever-evolving industry. New technologies have allowed for fruit to be in season all year long, making our business more stable and reliable than ever. As we learnt this past year, certain things are essential, and others are not. Our business at BC Tree Fruits is essential and we need devoted and passionate people to join our team. So if fresh, local, and community driven are important values to you, we would encourage you to consider a career at BC Tree Fruits.
- Organize, assist, and coordinate the operation, maintenance, the servicing of plant refrigeration facilities and equipment in cold storage areas and controlled atmosphere rooms.
- Implement and lead a Planned Preventive Maintenance program for the South area to work towards meeting and exceeding company goals.
- Work on and assist in the installation and maintenance of the numerous electrical or pressure-operated controls pertinent to all systems
- Required to interpret system performance, diagnose faults, and perform effective follow-up of same.
- Keep in consistent communication with Management regarding issues, projects, and timelines.
- Work as an effective team player with the rest of the Cold Storage & Maintenance Department to achieve an efficient workplace with optimum operations.
- Perform the role of Refrigeration Operator as required and scheduled by management
- Respond to after hour calls pertaining to ammonia or controlled atmosphere rooms as needed
The Ideal Candidate:
- A Journeyperson Cold Storage Mechanic Ticket or a valid Refrigeration qualification in accordance with Technical Safety BC
- Be a team player and able to communicate effectively with all employees and management.
- Safety conscious.
- Work well under pressure.
- Have an excellent work record and above average attendance.
- Be able to undertake assignments with or without direct supervision.
- Be comfortable working at heights.
- Possess experience working with ammonia as a refrigerant or prepared to attend ammonia awareness training upon hire.
- Strong Mechanical Background
- Hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation
- Available to work various hours and shifts including weekends, evenings, and possibly on very short notice, in any of the Southern facilities.
- Perform all other duties required of the job as required by management
The wage for this position is $40/hour.
BC Tree Fruits thanks all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those under consideration for the position will be contacted. Visit www.bctreefruits.com for more information on the cooperative and future employment opportunities.