Career Level Journeyman
Experience 5-7 Years
Posting ID 23997
No. of Openings 1
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, industrial and forestry industries that maximizes value for customers through innovative solutions. With a full line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels and a global service network, we help customers safely and sustainably optimize their operations. Our Komatsu, P&H, Joy, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC and Gigaphoton equipment and services are used to extract fundamental minerals and develop modern infrastructure.
Komatsu Mining brings advanced equipment, systems and direct services to the global mining industry. With its focus solely on mining, Komatsu Mining designs, manufactures, distributes and services extensive product lines of highly reliable P&H surface mining equipment and JOY underground mining machinery used to cut, crush, load and convey coal and industrial minerals worldwide. Customers receive a superior experience through direct relationships with Komatsu Mining’s support people, and through its services located close to the mines. Komatsu Mining’s products and related services are used extensively for the mining of coal, copper, iron, gold and other mineral resources and the company employs 14,000 people worldwide.
Komatsu Mining is continuously working to make mining operations safer and more productive. With Komatsu Mining’s innovative equipment and life-cycle services, mine operators are able to consistently achieve the lowest cost per unit of production over the life of the equipment.
Komatsu Mining Corp. offers rewarding experiences and unique opportunities for growth:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package (dental, prescription drug, health spending account, paramedical, medical, vision)
- Registered Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Company supplied tools
- Ability to be a part of an exciting innovative company developing new state of the art technology and equipment
We are currently looking to add a Journeyman Machinist, Field Services to our Edmonton, AB Field Service team.
Reports to: Foreman, Field Service
Shift: 7 x 7
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation
Travel: around 75%
Key Job Responsibilities
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and Vernier calipers.
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, or grinders.
- Measure, examine, and test completed units to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications.
- Set up, adjust, and operate all the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machining operations.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products, and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
- Lay out, measure, and mark metal stock to display placement of cuts.
- Diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repair, maintain machines.
- Clean and lubricate machines, tools, and equipment to remove grease, rust, stains, and foreign matter.
- Advise clients about the materials being used for finished products.
- Program computers and electronic instruments such as numerically controlled machine tools.
- Set controls to regulate machining, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Confer with engineering, supervisory, and manufacturing personnel in order to exchange technical information.
- Dismantle machines or equipment, using hand tools and power tools, in order to examine parts for defects and replace defective parts where needed.
- Establish work procedures for fabricating new structural products.
- Journeyman Machinist Certification and Red Seal
- High School Diploma or GED
- 5 years Machining experience
- Must be willing to do Field Service work
- Must be willing to work shift work (day/night)
- Valid Alberta Driver’s License
- Must have no restrictions for access for any mine site
Other Key Job Responsibilities:
- Support metalworking projects from planning and fabrication through assembly, inspection, and testing.
- Confer with numerical control programmers to check and ensure that new programs or machinery will function properly, and that output will meet specifications.
- Evaluate experimental procedures and recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency and adaptability to setup and production.
- Design fixtures, tooling, and experimental parts to meet special engineering needs.
- Prepare working sketches for the illustration of product appearance.
- Install experimental parts and assemblies such as hydraulic systems, electrical wiring, lubricants, and batteries into machines and mechanisms.
- Other duties as assigned
Komatsu Mining offers an excellent benefit package. We are an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
No agency or candidate phone calls please.
Komatsu Mining Corporation welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.