Career Level Journeyperson
Experience Previous Experience
No. of Openings 1
Department Broadway Subway Project
Union/Non Non-Union Position
British Columbia Infrastructure Benefits Inc. (BCIB) is the provincial Crown Corporation responsible for implementing the Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) on select public infrastructure projects. The CBA prioritizes the hiring of qualified local, Indigenous peoples, women, people with disabilities and other underrepresented groups and enables a culturally competent and respectful worksite. BCIB is committed to growing and mobilizing a safe, diverse and skilled workforce and increase opportunities for apprenticeships.
When you join our database of skilled tradespeople, you gain access to a network of projects. Our goal is to help you progress in your career with consistent work closer to home.
- Journey Person and Apprentice Ironworker Generalists are required on the Broadway Subway Project all through the year 2022.
Job Description Overview:
As described by the ITA, Ironworker Generalists may be required to perform any of the following tasks including rigging, welding, burning, riveting, bolting, drilling, fitting and fabricating or otherwise handling structural shapes and plates in the erection, demolition, repair and routine maintenance of steel structures, such as buildings, towers, cranes, and bridges. Ironworkers are involved with placing or moving machinery, curtain walls, window walls, tilt-ups, column claddings, architectural metal. They also work on the detailing, placing, post-tensioning, pre-stressing and tying of reinforcing steel or cable, including the unloading and handling of all such material.
Working Conditions and other requirements:
- Extended shift hours in changing weather conditions.
- Busy, noisy and dusty environments on dynamic terrains with multiple trades working together.
- Personal Protective Equipment will be required (e.g., steel-toed safety boots, safety
- Construction jobs may require workers to be in good physical condition with the ability to lift heavy weight.
- Elevated work platforms and cramped spaces frequently alternating between standing, kneeling, and lifting.
- Ability to follow instructions and basic design specifications.
- Must have good observational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Have a good understanding and the ability to follow safe work procedures.
- Have good communication, interpersonal and coordination skills.
Experience, qualifications, and certifications that are considered an asset;
- Must have a valid Red Seal, Journey Person or Apprenticeship Ironworker certification.
- Has experience in unloading and placing rebar and operating electric hand tools in a safe and efficient manner.
- Rigging and welding certification and experience considered an asset.
- Forklift Certificate or Telehandler Certificate considered an asset.
- Have a strong work ethic and problem-solving skills with a willingness to learn.
- Experience working in heavy civil construction or road building considered an asset.
- Fall Protection, Ariel Work Platform, Confined Space Entry considered an asset.
- Site Ready BC including WHMIS (details will be provided by BCIB upon employment).
Create a Profile with BCIB
To apply for work opportunities with BCIB, start by creating an online profile. Once you apply and are accepted into our database, we’ll contact you when an appropriate position becomes available. When you join BCIB, you’re joining a community of skilled British Columbians who work on some of the most interesting projects in the province.
BCIB works with various support organizations to bridge skill gaps among workers with different levels of experience. If there are skilled trades training opportunities which match your profile, we will contact you.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.