Career Level Red Seal
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID INSTR001612
No. of Openings 1
Department Technical Operations
Rocky Mountaineer is the world’s largest privately owned luxury passenger rail service. We are committed to living our values: Create Meaningful Moments, Be One Team, Achieve Extraordinary Outcomes.
Reporting to the Assistant Superintendent, Operations & Mechanical (ASOM), the Instrumentation Mechanic is an integral team member of the Rocky Mountaineer Operations and Mechanical team. The Instrumentation Mechanic will be responsible for the installation, calibration, repair, and maintenance of all electronic process control field instrumentation on rolling stock assets and/or facilities.
As a Rocky Mountaineer team member, you will be working alongside a diverse group of people who are committed to working together, supporting our values, and ensuring we are always on brand as a world class luxury rail tour company.
This position is deemed Safety Critical and pre-employment testing will be required. Final candidates must successfully pass a safety critical medical exam and will undergo medical monitoring as prescribed by Transport Canada. This position requires you to periodically access an active railway area where impaired performance could result in a significant incident affecting the health and safety of team members, guests, the public, property, or the environment.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Execute maintenance plans for electronic process systems on equipment which includes input/outputs devices, computer terminals, Human Machine Interfaces, field wiring, lighting fixtures, electrical motors, generators, rectifiers, and hydraulic and pneumatic electrical control systems
- Troubleshoot diverse equipment types and support cross functional trade defect repairs
- Inspect and test operation of instruments and systems
- Comply with Canadian Railway Operating Rules (CROR), General Operating Instructions (GOI), Federal Railroad Association (FRA), and all other safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Identify, protect, and report safety hazards to management and OH&S Committee
- Meet or exceed safety and security requirements
- Maintain basic first aid level provided by Rocky Mountaineer
- Support the successful execution of the Operating Plan
- Support safe movement of rail equipment
- Execute the company’s materials handling strategy
- Support operational and equipment availability requirements
- Support 5S Lean methodology to seek continuous improvement efficiencies
- This position may require the ability to train for and perform switching duties
- Able to read, understand, and interpret schematics, manuals and other instructions pertaining to equipment
- Train for the use of equipment and hand tools
- Execute a successful Maintenance Program
- Ensure completion of work orders maintaining brand standards, working collaboratively with team members and contractors
- Execute mechanical and reliability requirements
Education, Certification, Licenses
- Interprovincial Red Seal Instrumentation Technician Certification
- Experience in an industrial environment
- 5+ years’ experience with control systems, DCS, PLC’s, and loop checks, required
- Experience with Siemens PLC equipment including TIA Portal and STEP7, required
- Interpret electrical schematics and process flow drawings involving blueprints, and programming language
- Must be able to read and interpret IFC drawings and schematics
- Computer-based diagnostic troubleshooting, required
- Knowledge in ethernet networks, especially of different protocols like UDP and Profinet
- Railroad experience, an asset
- Familiarity with computer applications
- May require occasional travel
- Physical demands may require lifting to 80 lbs. on occasion
- Rail industrial site that requires walking and sitting throughout the day
- 24/7 operation that may require varied work schedules
- Indoor/outdoor working environment
Rocky Mountaineer (RM) is committed to the safety and health of our team members through providing a safe working environment. As a federally regulated transportation organization, we have a duty to comply with all applicable legislative requirements.
Therefore, all individuals who will start working with RM on November 12, 2021 onwards, will be required to present proof of vaccination confirming they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning their employment. An individual is fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving their second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or their first dose of a one-dose approved vaccine by Health Canada. Offers of employment to start work with RM on or after November 12, 2021 will be conditional upon receipt of proof of the job candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Note: Reasonable accommodations will be considered if they comply with the medical or religious exemptions permitted by applicable federal legislation and ministerial orders.