Career Level Red Seal
Experience 5-7 Years
JJM Construction is looking for a Heavy Duty Mechanic to join the team. A Heavy Duty Mechanic is responsible for performing major and minor repairs, overhauls and servicing on all types of heavy duty equipment and vehicles used at construction sites in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life.
Heavy Duty Mechanics repair and maintain equipment, hydraulic systems and electrical diagnosis in accordance with company and federal regulations. Heavy equipment operated at JJM include, but are not limited to, compactors, dozers, excavators, forklifts, front-end loaders, graders, rock trucks, wheeled and tracked vehicles/equipment.
Responsibilities and Best Practices
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the essential functions, while providing the highest quality construction services and products safely, effectively and efficiently to ensure JJM Construction’s principle of “Building to Last” endures for future generations.
- Perform maintenance on equipment according to owner, manufacturer and federal specifications, including changing oil or repairing, replacing, cleaning and adjusting parts.
- Diagnose diesel/gas engine, electrical, hydraulic, driveline malfunctions and make required repairs.
- Inspect all equipment to be repaired for defects and malfunctions.
- Operate all equipment to be repaired for testing and movement to and from shop.
- Use electric and oxy-acetylene welding equipment, lubrication equipment and other repair tools and equipment.
- Clean, lubricate and maintain all equipment, as scheduled and required.
- Operate hand and power tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Repair and service various equipment attachments.
- Prepare inspection, maintenance, work reports and record details on prescribed forms and log books in accordance with established company procedures.
- Communicate effectively with crew via hand signals and radio communications (when applicable).
- Review all safe work practices and procedures associated with the job prior to execution.
- Carry out work in a manner that will not jeopardize own/others safety.
- Lead by example.
- Wear, and participate in the ongoing training of, the required PPE for the position/task at hand.
JJM Construction Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace with safety as a primary consideration in all we do.
- Interprovincial Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic trade certification.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ red seal certified experience in a related field
- Prior experience with Caterpillar, Hitachi, Deere, Komatsu, Liebherr and Manitowoc equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract (per company insurance requirements).
- CSTS certificate.
- First Aid and WHMIS certificate(s) are an asset.
- Physically fit, with excellent stamina and the ability to perform manual labour.
- Health and Safety
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Follow JJM Construction safe work practices and safe job procedures.
- Follow the BC Occupational Health and Safety and Transport Canada Regulations.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our people, clients, subcontractors, and the public.
Please attach and forward your resumé along with a cover letter stating how your experience and qualifications are a match for this opportunity as well as your salary expectations.