Career Level Equipment Operator
Experience 5-7 Years
Posting ID 2021-15978
No. of Openings 1
Arctic Canadian Diamond Company Ltd. is a Canadian diamond mining company situated approximately 200 kilometers south of the Arctic Circle in Canada’s Northwest Territories. The company operates the Ekati Diamond Mine, in which it owns a controlling interest. It supplies rough diamonds to the global market through its sorting and selling operations in Canada and Belgium, and is Canada’s largest independent diamond producer.
Arctic maximizes the sales value of its rough stones from the Ekati Diamond Mines and maintains a preferred position as a supplier of rough diamonds to the world’s diamond manufacturers (cutters and polishers) by dealing directly with them and tailoring rough diamond parcels to the client’s particular needs.
Why Arctic Canadian Diamond Company?
At Arctic Canadian Diamond Company Ltd., we believe people are our most important asset. That is why we are fully committed to the health, safety, and well-being of our employees and to establishing strong lasting and respectful relationships with the people and communities with whom we work.
Arctic is dedicated to developing our workforce and committed to creating an environment where people can learn, grow, and take on new responsibilities. We build capacity within our workforce by offering leadership training, apprenticeship positions, and adult education initiatives, all of which encourage employees and contractors to strive for growth and development.
Since beginning operations in 1998, the Ekati Diamond mine has become internationally recognized as a world-class supplier of top-quality rough diamonds. Now operated by Arctic Canadian Diamond Company Ltd., the Ekati mine provides unique operational challenges, rewarding career development opportunities, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program.
As a member of the Surface Mining Team, the Equipment Operator – Shovel will report to the Surface Mining Team Leader and work a three (3) weeks on, three (3) weeks off rotation at the Ekati mine site. The Equipment Operator – Shovel is responsible for the safe, efficient, and productive operation of the Mass Excavators and Shovels in a complex surface mining environment.
- Safely operate Mass Excavators and Front Shovels to meet daily plan and production targets;
- Maintain equipment integrity and complete job hazard analysis reports and equipment log books;
- Effective communication using a 2-way radio system;
- Demonstrate the correct approach to excavating sumps and ditches while maintaining the required open pit bench grade;
- Utilize the correct procedure to establish a loading pad, chop cutting technique while maintaining required open pit bench grade;
- Utilize correct procedure to double and single side load with a front shovel while maintaining required open pit bench grade;
- Utilize correct procedure for final wall scaling with the front shovel and Mass Excavator;
- Understand and demonstrate the ability to utilize the WENCO Fleet Monitoring system to maintain an efficient mining cycle to report the load/haul cycle of the assigned unit;
- Operate additional surface mining equipment as required when Shovel and Mass Excavator are not available;
- Always protect the safety and well-being of yourself and your co-workers. Follow all Company specific safety protocols and Occupational Health & Safety policies and procedures.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent;
- Qualified to operate PC1800 / CAT 6018 Mass Excavators and Hitachi EX1900 / PC1800 / CAT 6040 front Shovels;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience operating a variety of heavy equipment, in the mining industry or similar setting.
The Company provides travel to and from the Ekati mine site out of Calgary, Yellowknife, and other Northern fly points as indicated in the NWT Socio-Economic Agreement for the Ekati mine.
Employees need to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine.
Arctic Canadian Diamond Company is committed to Employee Equity, supports diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Preference will be given to qualified applicants from Arctic Canadian Diamonds Impact Benefit Agreement groups. Members should clearly identify their IBA status on the online job application and resume, to receive priority consideration.
For information about the beautiful region in which our mines are located visit www.spectacularnwt.com.
If this position interests you and you have the experience and qualifications we are looking for, please apply at https://arcticcanadian.ca/jobs/.