Career Level High School or Equivalent
Experience Previous Experience
Posting ID 1623
No. of Openings Multiple
We currently have multiple openings for Entry Level Production & Weekend Cleanup/Firewatch Labourers based at our Saltair Sawmill on Vancouver Island, B.C.
What We Offer: Competitive unionized wage rates ranging between $27.12 – $31.59 as per the respective collective agreements. A safe work environment and ongoing training. This role a great way to try out working in an industrial environment without having to work any graveyard shifts. We often hire from our casual weekend crew onto our production teams, so if you’re looking to get your foot in the door and ignite a new career, this is a great place to start!
Who You Are: Perhaps you are looking for weekend work to earn some extra money? Maybe you want gain experience in a mill environment? You could also be a college student looking for a higher paying part-time job to get you through school! Our sawmill is only a 22 minute commute from Nanaimo/VIU. Whichever case it may be, if you are a hard worker who is accountable and dependable, then we want to connect with you. Training is offered to candidates with the right attitude and a desire to learn.
- Weekend Cleanup & Firewatch Labourers: All successful candidates must be available for Saturday and Sunday day shifts from 6:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
- Entry Level Production: All employees must be available Monday-Friday for all shifts including day, afternoon and graveyard shifts. Employees typically begin on an on-call basis and are required to work a variety of shifts until a full-time position becomes available.
This position is considered safety sensitive, all successful candidates will be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
- General labour, cleanup and spark watch;
- Maintain a safe and clean work area; and,
- Provide other support to our weekend maintenance crews as needed.
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 or equivalent;
- First Aid/WHMIS an asset – preference is always given to candidates who have OFA 3;
- Experience in a trades-related or industrial environment is an asset, though we will train people with the right attitude who want to learn.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstrated commitment to safety;
- Strong work ethic; accountable and dependable;
- Demonstrated ability to work both as part of a team and with minimal supervision.
- A desire to participate in an organization committed to continuous improvement.
- Ability to prioritize work, willing to lend a hand and pitch in when needed; and,
- Unafraid to work hard.
At Western Forest Products, we believe our most significant asset is our people. Investing in our people brings value and success to our business, ensuring a safe, engaged, productive and continuously improving workplace. We offer challenging opportunities working alongside the best in the industry to meet your career and professional development goals while providing competitive total rewards and recognition. From our timberlands to mills to our corporate and regional offices, we offer rewarding opportunities in every facet of our business.
Western Forest Products is a leading forest products company that manufactures high-quality wood products and sustainably manages forests. Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with operations in the coastal region of B.C. and Washington State, Western meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering. Our large investment in manufacturing and progressive approach to safe and sustainable forestry practices ensures the health and prosperity of our business, forests and communities for generations to come.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.