Career Level Journeyman
Experience 5-7 Years
Posting ID 20995
No. of Openings 1
Rate $82,597 - $98,654
The Department of Infrastructure (INF) provides high quality services to the public and Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) departments, boards and agencies including the planning, design, construction, acquisition, operation and maintenance of public transportation infrastructure and the buildings, works and equipment required for the GNWT to deliver its programs and services. INF makes essential petroleum products available for sale to the public where these products are not provided by the private sector, and promotes the development and increased use of energy efficient technologies. INF also regulates electrical and mechanical safety services and licenses individuals and vehicles operating in the territory.
For more information please refer to the Department of Infrastructure website at http://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/
Located in Norman Wells and reporting to the Senior Electrician, this position is responsible for performing electrical inspections, servicing and repairs on some 300 plus Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) assets in up to 13 different regional communities and several other remote sites including Mile 222 – Sahtu Trail.
A challenge for this position is in coordinating work assignments with those of other trades positions in order to see a project completed efficiently and effectively. Work is almost always performed with little or no direct supervision, and, most often without the benefit of professional collaboration.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of electrical systems, electronic components, boiler, HVAC and other healing and building control systems, the Canadian Electrical Code, CSA and UL codes and guidelines, the GBP and the NWT Safely Regulations in order to recognize electrical hazards and complete all repairs and installations safely and in accordance with the electrical code.
- Ability to diagnose faulty equipment, troubleshoot and make repairs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with apprentices, other trades, contractors, suppliers, factory technical staff, designers, engineers and managers to ensure that installation, repairs and operational functionality are achieved efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients in order to coordinate equipment and facility downtime, arrange appropriate times for accessing buildings, and performing work and training on new equipment and systems such as security systems etc.
- Must have the ability to train and mentor apprentices and other helper positions.
- Ability to keep records in order to document work performed on assets and ensure an adequate supply of materials are on hand to complete work.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
- Certification as a Red Seal lnter-provincial Journeyman Electrician; and five (5) years of directly related experience in both electrical and electronics systems.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
2 MCKENZIE DRIVE
NORMAN WELLS NT X0E 0V0
Tel (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.