Career Level Skilled Labour
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID 5244
No. of Openings 1
Make an impact at Canada’s premier mining company.
When you advance your career at New Gold, you are joining a Canadian-focused intermediate gold mining company engaged in the operation, development and exploration of mineral properties. Our mission is be a leading intermediate gold producer, driving responsible and profitable mining in a way that creates sustainable value for our employee, shareholders, the communities in which we live and work and our environment. New Gold would like to acknowledge the lands and resources of the Treaty 3 Territory and respect the traditional values of our First Nation partners. To learn more about New Gold, visit our website at www.newgold.com. To learn more about our culture and people practices, visit the Career page.
New Gold attracts and hires highly skilled individuals. By joining our team, you can look forward to:
- A stimulating values-based work environment
- A culture of collaboration and inclusion
- Inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted commitment to responsible mining, health and safety and community engagement
- A competitive total compensation program
- A comprehensive benefits package including a retirement savings plan
Rainy River Mine
Situated in beautiful northwestern Ontario, 65 km northwest of Fort Frances, the Rainy River Mine is an open pit, gold and silver producing, residential mine site.
The Rainy River Mine, located adjacent to the Ontario / Minnesota border is 65 Kilometers northwest of Fort Frances, Ontario and is situated half way between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, Ontario The area is home to more than 130 species of birds and large populations of moose, black bear and deer. If you enjoy outdoor activities including hunting, fishing, winter sports and lake country then this is an area you will love to live and work in.
Applicants who reside in Northwestern Ontario and have experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the Northwest Ontario, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the Impact Benefits Agreement (IBA) and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Ontario communities. (Indigenous) Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
About the Role
Schedule: Shift 7/7 or 14/14 – 12 hour days
Position Reports To: Drill Supervisor
Position Overview: We are looking for Drillers who have previously worked in open pit mining operating rotary, down the hole or top hammer drills. Our current fleet includes: DR580, D75K, and DP1500 drills. The ideal candidate would be one who is committed to safe working practices and who enjoys the challenges and excitement of the start of a new gold operation.
- Receive instructions for drilling parameters (weight on bit, rotary table rpm, pressures and pump outputs) as well as other work procedures (type and expected life of bit, mud characteristics, bore control etc.), and ensure their correct application. Whenever deemed necessary, within the specified limits, change the drilling parameters to improve the drilling progress;
- Receive handover for the previous shift and verify the status of operations and equipment before beginning shift;
• Check and set up the equipment necessary for the assigned shift,
- Operate drilling activities and complex maneuvers;
- Ensure that all reporting routines are followed and that all equipment related paperwork are carried out within area of responsibility.
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience
- Safety, Communication & supervisory skills are an asset.
- Top drive experience
- Heavy Equipment Operator Training is desirable
- Have a valid blasting certificate is an asset
- First Aid / Mine Rescue Training is considered an asset
- We are looking for team members with a passion for working safely and making a difference at work.
- Demonstrated leadership in safety is essential in this role
- Willingness to take on progressively more responsibilities as you grow and develop with the company
- Aptitude for mechanics with the ability to handle heavy machinery
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions and signage
- Ability to think and act decisively
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Physically fit with the ability to perform physical labour
- Accuracy in recording details
Why New Gold?
• Highly competitive base salary, compensation programs and an annual incentive program
• Extended health & Dental Benefit
• Short-term and long-term disability insurance benefit
• Defined match contribution to group registered retirement savings account
• Performance-based incentive plan
• Relocation allowance or Camp and Travel allowance
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.