Career Level Post Secondary Degree
Experience 5-7 Years
No. of Openings 1
Copper Mountain Mine is a large-scale open pit copper mine located in south central British Columbia. The mine has evolved into a mature and highly efficient operation with a long term mine plan and significant opportunity for mine life extension. If you like to work with people in a working environment to deliver results, and you enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle with easy access to city life, this could be your opportunity.
Reporting to Mine Operations Manager, the Chief Engineer is responsible for managing the mine engineering, geotechnical and geology teams, overseeing mine planning and ore reconciliation, and ensuring mine plans are executed efficiently and safely. The Chief Engineer will lead various engineering, geotechnical, geology and fleet management teams while adhering to Copper Mountain’s environmental policies and local regulatory requirements. He/she is expected to provide strong leadership and inspire the mine engineering team to create a safe, motivated and productive environment which leads to innovative continuous improvement. The Chief Mine Engineer will also audit and monitor planning systems and engineering projects and identify areas for improvement and solutions to increase efficiency and reduce costs.
- Ensuring compliance with statutory requirements and conformance with established company
- Directing mine engineering, geotechnical engineering, surveying, fleet management system
management and operational geology work to ensure it is accurately completed
- Building trusting relationships with the Mine Operations Manager and the senior leadership
team at the mine operation
- Focusing on best practices regarding health, safety and environment and cross functional
teamwork with Mine Operations, Maintenance and Mill Operations, while maintaining a high
level of environmental performance
- Ensuring adherence to Copper Mountain Mine environmental policy, work standards,
management plans and regulatory obligations and requirements
- Providing mentorship to mining engineers in training
- Completing Mine Operations month end and year end reporting
- Developing a high level of safety awareness among the team
- Assisting in the development of the mine operations budget and forecasts
- Coaching and consulting to all levels
- Working with the Company’s corporate planning group on open pit design, long term mine
plans, and large projects
- Auditing, monitoring, and identifying improvements of planning systems and projects
- Ensuring the mine’s production adheres to the Company’s standards of health, safety, and
- Long and short term mine planning to ensure the lowest unit cost, adhere to highest safety
standards and increase profit margins where possible
- Ensuring accurate modelling and reporting to improve efficiency and cost control
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mine Engineering; or a related technical discipline within the mining
- Registered as a Professional Engineer, in good standing with the Association of Professional
Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia or equivalent is required.
- Minimum of ten years of open pit mine engineering and supervisory experience with the ability
to seamlessly fill the Chief Mine Engineer role
- Extensive experience with mine planning, design, and development of mine improvement
- Competency in 3-D mine design software and excellent working knowledge of a mining
software package, preferably Surpac
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work within a team and achieve results
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Specific experience in developing strategies involving multi-disciplinary issues
- Solid understanding of strategic mine planning
- Previous fleet management experience is advantageous
Compensation and Benefits
Copper Mountain Mine offers a competitive wage, a comprehensive benefit package including RRSP contributions. There is no camp provision at Copper Mountain Mine.
This position works 5×2 (Monday to Friday). All qualified persons are invited to apply; applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
You will be required to participate in a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and a medical. Please send your resume outlining related qualifications to email@example.com (in either word or pdf format).
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Copper Mountain Mine respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.