Career Level Certification
Experience 2-5 Years
Posting ID 22957
No. of Openings 1
Rate $79,144 - $94,515
The Department of Infrastructure (INF) provides high quality services to the public and Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) departments, boards and agencies including the planning, design, construction, acquisition, operation and maintenance of public transportation infrastructure and the buildings, works and equipment required for the GNWT to deliver its programs and services. INF makes essential petroleum products available for sale to the public where these products are not provided by the private sector, and promotes the development and increased use of energy efficient technologies. INF also regulates electrical and mechanical safety services and licenses individuals and vehicles operating in the territory.
For more information please refer to the Department of Infrastructure website at http://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/
Reporting to the Maintenance Coordinator – Communities, this position is located in Tuktoyaktuk and completes carpentry and painting works in accordance with work orders, plans and specifications to ensure GNWT buildings and works are well maintained including inspection of exterior and interior fixtures as well as working with lock systems.
Scope of undertaken activities includes:
- Inspects and evaluates leveling of buildings and grounds for run-off and makes repairs to the foundation to ensure structure is stable.
- Assists in completing capital projects minor works and general painting tasks.
- Checks on work completed by contractors to ensure compliance with plans and specifications and the National Building Code.
- Completes records for all maintenance and repairs to all GNWT owned buildings works.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment in the carpentry shop maintains control of shop supplies as well as assists other trades persons when required.
- Supervises and trains apprentices and casual staff.
- The Carpenter works regular hours plus overtime, traveling occasionally throughout the Inuvik Region.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
- Certification as Journeyman Carpenter;
- Three (3) years of experience in repairing and renovating buildings and in finishing carpentry;
- Two (2) years of experience in the carpentry trade and some experience in a cold weather environment
- Experience in locksmithing
- Class 5 Driver’s License.
Inuvik HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
1st FLOOR ALEX MOSES GREENLAND BUILDING
INUVIK, NT X0E 0T0
Tel (867) 678-6600
Fax (867) 678-6620
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.