Career Level Red Seal
Experience 3-5 Years
Posting ID 21006223
No. of Openings 1
Apprenticeship Skills & Development Coach – Metal Fabrication
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada’s shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. We have delivered two Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we’re just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We’re growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada’s shipbuilding industry and provide Canada’s sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada’s current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking an Apprenticeship Skills Coach.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: High School Diploma/ GED or equivalence
- Red Seal Metal Fabricator
- Years of Experience Required:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Metal Fabricator
- 3-5 years applicable trade experience in an industrial, mechanical, manufacturing or shipbuilding environment
- Supervisory experience desirable
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Problem solving skills and ability to lead and manage multiple priorities in a fast pace environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Apprentice skill development
- Monitor and support on-the-job skill development of our Metal Fabricator apprentices through mentoring, coaching and training
- Embed clear focus on safety and quality
- Support and track apprentices’ progress towards Red Seal
- Preparation and delivery of training
- Ensure apprentices progress their training in a timely manner
- Maintain own skills and knowledge of the curriculum to support apprentices.
- Support the holistic development of apprentices by role modelling Irving values and maintaining high expectations set by the program. Demonstrate good understanding of the Collective Agreement.
- Support the objectives of the Apprenticeship Program and seek opportunities to continuously drive improvements for the benefit of our apprentices, program and the business.
- Maintain accurate and timely records to track apprentices’ progress.
- All other duties as required.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
- Relocation costs (if applicable)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Please reference “mytrades.ca” when applying for this position.