Career Level Apprentice
Experience 1- 3 Years
Posting ID 21005989
No. of Openings 1+
METAL FABRICATOR – APPRENTICE
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company’s commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defense procurement in Canadian history. We have delivered two Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships, the largest Navy ships built in Canada in 50 years and we’re just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
Irving Shipbuilding is seeking Apprentice Metal Fabricators for current opportunities.
Metal Fabricators are responsible for the use of various tools and equipment in the fabrication, assembly and erection of metal parts for the construction of modular units utilized in the various stages of the building of a marine vessel.
- Education Required: High School or Trade Certification in Metal Fabrication is required
- Years of Experience Required: <2 years
- Preference will be given to candidates with fabrication, assembly and fitting experience utilizing various tools and equipment
- Experience working in Marine/Industrial industry is considered an asset
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be performed by the Employer
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Areas of specialization: structural metal or steel, plate work, shipbuilding, pressure vessels
- Measure, cut, grind, fit, align and tack weld parts
- Layout of reference points and patterns
- Assemble and fit plates and sections to form structures
- Install interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc. to complete all of the steel work in the ship
- Layout construct patterns and templates
- Read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings, blueprints and procedures
- Instruct and mentor apprentices
- Physical effort and work conditions:
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms
- Stand, stoop, bend, kneel, and climb
- Work in confined spaces and inclement weather
- Support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate
- Work may be performed indoors and outdoors
- You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds
- Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online by https://careers.jdirving.com/.
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.